Monday, February 12, 2007

Good Bye Delhi!

I have made a few futile efforts in the past couple of days to pen down my thoughts but somehow my thoughts didn’t translate into words. I almost felt like giving up the idea of writing at all when suddenly I felt the urge to write again. I was talking to a friend of mine and we were discussing a whole host of things under the sky (a beautiful night sky… I think that did some of the trick as well) and then she said something about missing her family and in general missing the things the way they were. I think it was the way that she put it which made me remember a part of my life that I was so wanting to put behind me… for ever.

I was born and brought up in Delhi and somehow loved the idea of flaunting my roots… I loved getting in verbal bouts with my friends from other parts of the country defending Delhi as if it were my personal fiefdom.

If I were a writer I would spend hours describing the roads of Delhi, the beautiful trees that seem to lord over those magnificent bungalows built much before the existence of any one I know was even contemplated, those beautiful winter mornings and that amazingly pleasant sunshine which touches you lightly after a tremendous struggle with the misty fog, the joy of finding the most interesting piece of history in the most unexpected of places.

Then one day, we decided to move out of Delhi forever. I never knew leaving places could be so tough. A part of me was cut away!

But Delhi will remain with me in my memories- those wonderful and carefree years at DPS, that first lie that I told, that first time when I had the guts to speak the truth, that first fight with Rahul at the bus-stop, that first innocent peck on the cheek, that first not so innocent grope in the back seat of a car, those wonderful drives with friends on roads that always led to happiness, the joy of bumping into someone really important at IIC, the momos and fruit beer at Delhi Haat, the corner sweet shop that made the most perfect jalebi, those walks to PVR everyday and so much more

Good Bye Delhi… until we meet again!

1 comment:

Nandita said...

Very nice Mr. G.
You are fast losing the innocent image of u i had....
but excellent post...don't think i should right down my gbye mbai stories..might be too shocking... :-)