Friday, June 22, 2007

My Biggest Learning

The lights are dim, the AC strong and the conversation incoherent for my unresponsive brain. The stale coffee is my solitary refuge. Why I am doing this? My mind trails off in a chain of random thoughts ranging from my current crush to the BCG Matrix. My few minutes of solitude are broken by a request to do something I don’t even understand. It’s like answering a question when the question is in a language unknown to me. This time around the language is a computer one. I nod and trudge back heavily to my cubicle. It’s going to be an uneasy time... all over again. This is happening far too frequently for my liking. I look at the watch… it will be over soon... I assure myself.

Here I am. My typical work day is summed up in endless java commands and the much to my anguish the omnipresent IE500 error screens.

Flashback a couple of years or even less than that. I am surrounded by theories of manipulating the 4P’s to achieve marketing excellence. My mind absorbs all of what I read and parallelly my heart subconsciously paints a future for me… a life content with selling toothpastes, cola drinks or potato chips. It seems like the perfect picture.
Fate however has other ideas. I finish b-school and end up with code review, code rework; patch installation and loads of excel sheets thrown in for company. Segmentation, Targeting and Positioning strategies are thrown away.

I have two options… sulk or make most of it. Sulking seems easy and comes naturally to me. Wait a minute… the code is running just when I am going to give up.... Some up there likes me. I am finally getting somewhere.

It must be a sign (I am the kind who lives his life by these signs). Its coding that I must do… it seems the correct option.

I have just learned the biggest lesson of my life…. “Unlearning is the biggest learning” Kotler and his theories will always be a bitter-sweet memory.

1 comment:

Nandita said...

You've been tagged :-)
Check my blog.