Monday, June 11, 2007

Illusions!

It has been an unusual day, an unusual Saturday. I have spent a major part of the day in office and then at the gym. Tired and wary of the sun that that seems to shine at its prickly best even though it’s almost time for it to pass on the baton to the night sky, I seek refuge in the air-conditioned environs of the on campus departmental store.

The strong A/C is enough to numb my senses and ignore the wise adage “Never enter a shop without a list or at least a purpose” and I soon find myself walking the endless aisles lined with products that promise me a “better life”. I succumb eventually and as I turn to the stationery section, I have consumed almost the whole of a high calorie chocolate effectively negating my entire gym session in a matter of minutes.

I turn my attention to the writing material on display. I haven’t had an idea to pen on paper for some time now and yet I’m drawn to it almost for some kind of inspiration.
It’s the name that catches my attention. I ignore it but it seems to be all over the place. Some marketing manager has decided to name a particular series of registers “Illusions”. What an absurd name I think to myself. However on second thoughts it seems extremely appropriate. We do really live in a world of illusions or rather we live our life through a maze of illusions. The meaning of our existence on this planet will always be clouded by the illusions painted for us by the people who chose to live theirs in them. Let’s begin with this piece of writing material itself. Market it as a ladder to success and some gullible student will fall for it, brainwashed that a good academic career ensures success in life. Somewhere down the line he will mistake success for happiness. Thus even before he can understand the meaning of “Illusion”, he would have started living his life in one.

My train of thoughts is interrupted by the store-owner who is looking at me impatiently. Its past closing time. “Do you want anything or you just wanted to enjoy the A/C” his eyes seems to ask me accusingly. I hurriedly buy myself one of THE registers and another of those chocolates. I smile as I do so. Atleast I have worked past one of my illusions..”..I will never be the next Sylvester Stallone”

1 comment:

Nandita said...

Love it! Absolutely love it! You just took the standards even higher. I'm nervous to write now.