Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Confessions of a confused mind...

Arranged Marriage

I am 27 years now… have a great job... not a worry in the world and so people think the natural thing for me to do is to get married. No one asked me for my opinion….. I guess it’s a foregone conclusion. You brush your teeth when you wake up in the morning… in much the same way you get married when the “time” is right. But unfortunately you don’t really have the right to decide when the time is right for you.

“One does need to crib really”-I found myself speaking to my inner soul. At least give it a shot… things can’t be so bad. Being a deadly combo of an electrical engineer with MBA marketing, I set out to analyze the situation at hand.

First Things first…

The Product: that’s me of course in case you didn’t figure it out by now. It’s a bit sad to call oneself a product but then I don’t want to argue with the laws of marketing that have been drilled into my head. I must of course define this product. This is the most important stage in the entire marketing exercise. A bad product has no takers… luckily I am not one. But I also haven’t figured out myself as yet… so let’s skip this step for now.

Now comes the best part- The STP of marketing… for the uninitiated that’s Segmenting, Targeting and Positioning. Now the details of each of these:

Segmenting: This in layman’s language simply means who will want this product. In my case… the question changes to who would like to marry me… I really don’t know the answer to this one… coz I haven’t been married before J… so let’s give this step a miss also.
Targeting: Simply put it means who do I approach… girls of course-and single and unattached ones I guess. Nope I don’t have anything more to say-move on to step 3.
Positioning: My Marketing professor beautifully broke this concept into 4 very simple questions that any idiot would understand and thankfully I was one of them. They go something like this:
Who Am I?
For Whom Am I?
Why am I required?
How Am I better than other?

This step is closely related to defining the product itself... Something that I haven’t done till now… so I skip this step also.


So we have come to the end…. I have enlisted all of the questions and none of the answers. So please wait for all those of you who want to… I have a lot of questions whose answers I still haven’t found.

2 comments:

H.Luthra said...

You are crazy !!

Rashu said...

Good write up!
Keep it going......